My plan, as if I can pretend to have had one, was to use my Polaroid Auto 210 Land Camera and a pack of FP3000B for this week. I used about half the pack, as well as a few frames of Acros in my XA, but the one that just seemed to flow was the Argus and Provia 100F.
The Argus Super Seventy Five, which I’ve now used three times for this project, is just such a fun little camera. It has no meter, but seeing as it only has one shutter speed, 1/50 sec, and 3 apertures, f8 f11 or f16, it doesn’t take much work to figure out the appropriate setting. 100 ASA film is probably a little fast for a sunny day, but the blown highlights are part of the x-pro look.
It was a very bright sunny day, with scattered clouds, so f16 was perfect. I only had to frame, set the distance, shoot, then wind, 12 times. I had to wait a few minutes for a couple of shots, for the clouds to clear or fill the frame just right, but I shot the whole roll in about an hour and a half.
I started just north of downtown Tulsa, in a somewhat depressed area known as Turley, then further north to Sperry, then back again to north Tulsa, and ending in the old Route 66 area just east of downtown. I need to return to this area again, preferably on a Sunday, when there are less people about. Seems like quite a few folks around those parts might be up to something, as they look upon anyone with a camera with suspicion.
Anyway, back to the cross processing. As most of you probably know, cross processing is the generic term for developing any film in a process which it was not specifically designed for, but usually it’s e6, or slide film, in c41 chemistry. Provia 100F isn’t necessarily my favorite for this, I prefer Ektachrome, but seeing as it’s no longer available, Provia is the next best choice. It trends towards green when x-pro’d, but it’s kinda cool. I scanned the strips between two pieces of museum glass to get the edge effect, and used the film negative setting on my Epson V600.
I tried to maintain as much of the color cast as possible, then adjusted the levels in PhotoShop Elements to get a good range of light and dark. All of the exposures are surprisingly similar. I got a little more stuff in the frame than I planned on, as I forgot that the viewing window only shows about 90% of the actual image.
The images posted here, all 12 frames, are in the order they were taken.