Shooting with strobes, I was curious to see what Silvermax looks like in the highlights. Two sessions were made, one with proper exposure and soft light (two diffused flashlights), the other half with a one stop overexposure and with hard light.
I checked the times for APX 100 and HC110, because I heard rumours that Silvermax resembles the APX in a lot of ways and I assume HC110 to be a good developer for pushing – even though I think I prefer Xtol for that, but that’s a different story.
Besides, this sessions provided the chance to check out the Nikon FE with a 105/2.8 Ai-S Macro attached. I bought the FE because I am looking for a light weight SLR with full manual control. Compared to the Nikon EM the FE is significantly heavier, but it’s a good camera.
I was too anxious to try the N+2 processing with the original Silvermax developer, which I like in the Silvermax box speed, ISO 100, so I went for HC110.
The man in the hard light obviously misses fill light in the shadows, his eyes could have been lit better, but this was due to the fact that the flash for the fill light gave up working yesterday and I had to improvise. Don’t blame the film for this. I like his french seventies style, it’s interesting.
Got to check the manual and shoot more often with flashes, so I wouldn’t forget how to use them properly. Manual mode is my best bet in the studio.
The frames are more or less out of camera / scanner (I envy those white teeth). To get an overview, I just scanned them quickly in a generic flatbed. They should turn out better in a film scanner and on paper.
Pollux on 52rolls:
- Launch Status Check: Pollux [Intro]
- #1.0 Neopan 400 & Rodinal
- #1.1 Silvermax
- #1.2 The White Stripes
- #2.0 Fade To Grey
- #2.1 Pushing Silvermax
- #2.2 Know Your Gear
- #2.3 What Took You So Long?
- #2.4 Diary Shots
- #2.5 Compact 28 + Ultramax
- #2.6 On 400H
- #3.0 Hard Boiled
- #4.0 Film Noir
- #5.0/5.1/5.2 Remain In Light
- #5.3 My Personal Holga
- #5.4 The Exhibition Cam
- #5.5/5.6 Portra and 400H
- #5.7 A Peculiar Roll (1993)
- #5.8/5.9 Great Photographer, Wasted Film
- #6.0 Diary Shots, 135mm on the F4
- #6.1-#6.3 Purchasing New Material, Celebrating
- #7.0-#7.2 Concert
- #8.0 Helicopter
- #9.0 Tres Cosas
- #10.0 One Shot per Roll
- #11.0/11.1: Parklife (Nikon F2)
- #12.0/12.1: Silvermax, F2 (24mm) + F5 (17mm + 210 mm)
- #13: Diary with a Point & Shoot
- #14: Medium Format: The Rangefinder of ’51
- #15: Memories of Friendship
- #16: [Pollux]: Epilogue